Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and LET US RUN with endurance the race set before us, LOOKING UNTO JESUS, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:1&2

Saturday, March 26, 2011

What!!!!!!! I wasn't ready for this......

So Thursday I posted about how my baby girl seemed to just wake up and decided she wasn't a baby any longer. Well it is true... we are officially potty training now.

She only had a few accidents yesterday and has been in big girl undies all day. I can't believe it as she looks so little sitting on the potty and because my dear boys didn't potty train until they were 3 and almost 4!!!!! But this just reminds me how God has created each of my children so completely different. They all have there gifts and talents. It is so hard as parents not to compare them with each other or even with other kids their age. Knowing this is one of my struggles I looked up what God had to say about comparing.
2 Cor 10:12 "For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." So God is saying that comparing ourselves to others is foolish. Comparing in the Greek is- to judge of one thing in connection with another.
So we compare when are kids are the same age as other kids what they should be doing or what they can do which either gives us confidence in ourselves and our achievements as parents or discouragement in our lack of achievements when comparing to others. But our confidence needs to be in Christ ALONE....  It is God who created each one of our children different. Ps 104: 24 "O Lord, how manifold are YOUR works! In wisdom you have made them all!" It is with wisdom that God created each one of my children.  Ps 119:73 " Your hands have made me and fashioned me; Give me understanding , that I may learn Your commandments."

Then I read in Psalms 139:13-18 " For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, When as yet there were non of them. How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; When I awake, I am still with You!"

I have to remind myself of this truth too... When I look at what EVERY OTHER mom is doing. I have even gone to the extreme before to go to a friends house who had recently got rid of all junk food in her house. Well guess what I did.. I came home... got out my garbage bag and started dumping the junk... When Mat walked in and saw this he was shocked and not too happy. It wasn't that he didn't want to eat healthy but it was my way of just doing that without talking to him about it first. And then maybe making a plan on how to make that work for our family. Even if they may be good things that doesn't mean that it is good for me or my family.  We can look to others because God has placed others in our life for a reason but we just have to use wisdom. Not do like I did and look and then come home and want to completely change what my family was doing because another family was doing something else!  I don't want to compare my house, my kids, my homeshool, my marriage, my looks, or my service to anyone but to just keep my eyes on Christ. For it is only when I do this will I find fullness of joy and contentment.  Just like the title of my blog my prayer is that I live my life looking unto HIM the author and finisher of my faith.
So today if I find myself looking to others at what, when, where, why and how they are doing what they do let that not over shadow Him who made me with His hands and fashioned me, before I was even a thought.... Look to HIM!!!

2 comments:

  1. what a good post, Jenny! I agree... we have to do what's best for OUR family and for each of our own kids. So true!

    I'm so proud of your baby girl! what a big girl she is... ready for #4! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our little Katie is so smart, and girls do truly do these things before our little boys many times. I love this blog, as I think as women we do compare ourselves too much to other women. We are all unique & God's design & plans for each family are all so different. You are wise!
    Love,
    Mom

    Mom

    ReplyDelete