Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and LET US RUN with endurance the race set before us, LOOKING UNTO JESUS, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:1&2

Friday, December 16, 2011

Speechless & Amazed at Answered Prayer

Walking into my Sunday school class a few weeks ago you would have seen something happen that I am ashamed to say didn't think could..... I learned a lesson that I will never forget.
      Mornings have been extremely difficult for me to say the least. It is also my month to teach sunday school in our lions (3yr old) class. With Mat working night shift I have to get everyone up, looking presentable, fed and out the door by 8am!! That particular morning Mat stayed up and got everyone ready for me because he could tell I was having a hard time even pulling back the covers and putting my feet on the floor. Ended up being just a get dressed and brush hair kind of morning. Anyways we got to church with a few minutes to spare. When someone greeted me the first thing they said was " your not feeling too good are you".. Wow yes I looked and felt that bad :)
   My other helpers came in as well as our Lions ministry leader to observe our class ( Yes today of all days right??)

 The kids started coming in. A new little guy came in with his dad.  His dad said he was going to stay as well because his son was having a really hard time. I guess they have moved A LOT in the past 3 years and it has affected this little guy. This has really been a burden for the parents because they haven't been able to leave him in any class which means they hadn't been able to go to service or midweek bible study since they started coming over a month ago.

So the ministry leader said " Go ahead and leave him and if needed we will call you" The dad said " Can you handle a lot of yelling and kicking??" " Sure we had done this before and after a few minutes we are sure everything will be fine." So the father walks to the door and that is when it starts....

YELLING, KICKING, HITTING, lets just say it is the biggest, loudest tantrum I have ever seen. I am so thankful our leader was there because he took the boy and held him so he couldn't hurt himself or anyone else.
   The rest of us tried to continue on with our class but we couldn't even hear the kids singing. We had ushers come to the class to check on us and see what was the cause for the yelling that could be heard in every room of the church. But our leader continued to talk calmly with the boy and take his name calling, hitting attempt's, kicks and chair throwing.
    It came time for me to share the lesson... I was teaching Luke 1 where Zacharias and Elizabeth faithfully prayed and prayed for YEARS for a child but God didn't answer their pray right away. Then one day the angel came and told Zacharias that God who is faithful heard their prayers all these years and even though it seemed impossible because of their age God was going to give them a son.... John. Because with God NOTHING is impossible.
  While I am teaching they decided it is time to call the boys dad. When he comes to get his son the leader asks that he go take his son and then bring him back.... While they were gone, I was finishing up my story I look over in the corner of the room and see the leader on his knees praying and crying for this boy. Wow not thinking of what someone might think of him.. he is humble and knows where his help comes from! This reminds me to pray to because like I just taught.. God hears our prayers and with Him NOTHING is impossible.
   A few minutes later the boy is brought back... and still going strong... It is now snack time. The leader holds the boy again.. taking another round of the kicking and hitting. Our ears were all ringing. But the leader lovingly persevered for the sake of the parents. The boy threw his popcorn on the floor, kicked the chairs over still yelling ....
    Next it was small group time where we each take 2 to 3 students and review the lesson and pray with them. While we were all quietly meeting the leader was telling the yelling boy that he is praying for God to change his heart.....
     Next came play dough time.. We were getting it all set up. The leader got up to get the little guy a tissue... After wiping his nose the little boy gets QUIET..... everyone stopped.... then he said just above a whisper " Will you please forgive me for yelling and hitting and kicking you.. for being mean." 

We stood speechless with tears in our eyes as we saw the amazing power of God to change a heart!!!! The boy then went to the play dough table playing quietly and kindly with the other kids.. Even offering to get another girls play dough that dropped on the floor. Talk about a change of heart!!
     We had just witnessed a miracle. An answer to the prayer of a humble man who got on his knees in faith that God with whom is all power and wisdom can, does and will answer prayer...
     When the service was over we had more people come from the other rooms and say "wow I can't believe you preserved that long, I would have had the dad take him out of class." because remember everyone in the building could hear the whole event.
     Then the dad came looking anxious. When saw his son sitting nicely at the table he said " Thank You" with tears in his eyes. Who knows how long they have prayed for this moment.

     Wow so here I was not feeling good... and honestly not looking forward to my class that morning. But God knew I need to be there to see the power of PRAYER. Instead of being the teacher I needed to be taught a lesson.  He knew that the leader also  needed to be there but not to observe my class like we planned but to show us what humble prayer does. James 5:16 b"The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much."   To be reminded that I need to calmly, lovingly preserver with my own kids. But most importantly to stop, get on my knee and PRAY.. because it is only God who can change their hearts. The same God who gave Zacharias and Elizabeth a baby after years and years of praying. The same God who came into this world from heaven in order to fulfill his plan from when to world began to become our Savior. To suffer and die the death that I deserve so that I might find forgiveness and grace. Wow what an amazing God we have! I pray that I even have faith that my prayer can and will be answered but maybe not right when I think they should. I may have to wait for many years like Zackarias and Elizabeth but it will be in God's perfect timing.
  I hope that is also encourages you today that you have a sovereign God who is ready to show you His amazing power today if you just humble yourself before Him!

3 comments:

  1. this is such a reminder that NOTHING is too small to bring to God and know that He can fix it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your mom, after hearing this I was so grateful for you being a part of God's working a miracle in your midst. Dad & i were also Thankful for you being there even when you did not feel good and thankful for your leader's humility and faith in God to simply pray.
    Wonderful encouragement for us all to get on our knees and just pray!
    Love you Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your perseverance of love towards our son. I would love to get to know you and hear your story! With love in Christ, Laurie Payton

    ReplyDelete