Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and LET US RUN with endurance the race set before us, LOOKING UNTO JESUS, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:1&2

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Flour Letters

I am so blessed to know many seasoned homeschool moms. They understand what you are saying when you are talking about " homeschooling boys :)" One such lady gave me a wonderful idea to have them use different mediums to teach them to  write their letters (Zack) and spelling words (Jayden). She told me to get flour and put it in a baking sheet and let them have a day writing that way. I have to admit that it has been a year since she told me this. I was quite afraid of the mess it would make. But we all know how much boys like messes... Let me tell you I think they are going to be asking me everyday now if they can do their school in flour!



 When Zack concentrates hard his little tongue pops out :)
                                    He was so proud of his letter MMMM.. so was I :)
                                                 Jayden spelling the word foot!!!
 Look it was an octopus with ears :)
So Yes... I was right... it did make a mess but guess what.. the mess was worth it!!!!! After their lesson they continued to play in the flour for another 30 minutes. Making maps and telling each other what country they were drawing ( hey I could make it a geography lesson too!!)

Kaitlyn had fun  "helping mommy" by cleaning up

I have so many wonderful idea and suggestions on how to make the most of my kids homeschooling experience. Most of them take a little extra effort and time ( which is why I often avoid them). I am slowly learning to except the mess and the homeschool day that doesn't end until 3pm.... The smiles on my kiddos faces and how they are still talking about how much fun that was makes it worth it and makes me want to do it again tomorrow.. well maybe not tomorrow but hopefully soon :)

2 comments:

  1. that's awesome! I'm going to try this with Rachel. She likes to draw letters on the shower door, as the steam fogs it up :) So I think she'd love this idea!!

    We use a program called Handwriting without tears and we love it. Both Ethan and Rachel seemed to improve SO much after we started using it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea!! I'm loving your blog. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete