Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and LET US RUN with endurance the race set before us, LOOKING UNTO JESUS, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:1&2

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Where is your sting??

    This past week has been a reminder that too often I lose sight of what I am doing all this for..... I more often than not get caught up in the day to day... Laundry, house work, cooking, checking off my to-do lists, errands, and lose sight that it isn't the things in this house that are important but the people in this house that are!!! For it is the  people big and little that God has given me for whatever time He sees fit to hug, love, laugh with, to teach, to learn from and to just find joy in, and to cherish. God says that there is a time for everything  Ecc. 3:1&2 " To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven: A time to be born, And a time to die; A time to plant, And a time to pluck what is planted;" 
   A young man we knew died this past week. He left behind a wife, 4 young kids, parents, siblings, family and friends. To us it doesn't seem right... why should a young man die??? Well like in Ecc there is a reason and season for everything. We might not be able to see why on this side of heaven but there is a reason... If you have ever seen a quilt on the underside before the backing is put on it looks like a mess... no reason... no meaning.... just a mess.. but then you turn the quilt over and you see that every stitch was in its proper place for a reason and the result was a beautiful masterpiece. Well this is like our lives... Since the creation of the world God has had his plan and purpose and nothing can stop or get in the way of Him accomplishing this. And He is working every single detail of our lives for our good and His glory to those who love him and are called according to His purpose (Rom 8:28)
      The one thing certain in all our lives is that we all have a time to die. So ask yourself are you ready for death?? Do you live each and every day like you are one day closer to eternity?? I know I so often lose sight of this... That heaven is my true home where I will leave forever with my Savior.
     Before I was a Christian though this was very scary for me to think about. When I was 9 my dad died. I for a short time was VERY angry at God for allowing my dad to die so young. But God used this greatly in my life to show me how short life really is. I began to ask myself... Am I ready to die???  No matter if you live until you are 9 or 90 when you are talking about eternity, forever with God for those who are saved or forever without God...  both of those lives are short when compared to FOREVER.
"Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:54-56

The only thing that can/has concurred death is CHRIST.....  It is only through His death on the cross that someone can be freed from the power of death... Because those in Christ will no longer face death, and eternity in hell forever separated from God. When those in Christ leave this life they will be met by their Savior to live forever with Him in a heaven....A New heaven where neither moth or rust will destroy. there will no longer be any sickness... cancer... or death.... I now can have peace

“And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.’ And he who was seated on the throne said, ‘Behold I am making all things new.’” Revelation 21:3-5

What a wonderful promise this is.... Heaven.... Our hope is In Christ ALONE!!!

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my Light, my strength, my song
This cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm

What heights of love
What depths of peace
When fears are still
When striving cease
My comforter, my all in all
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save

Till on that cross as Jesus died
the wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live

There in the ground his body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious day
Up from the grave He rose again

And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the Precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny

No power of hell
No scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I stand

In Christ alone



2 comments:

  1. loved this post, Jen! I was thinking about you all the other day when I knew it was his service. I've been praying for his wife and kids as well... and extended family. I can't imagine watching my grown child, Father to my Grandkids first suffer and then die. What a hard thing to go through!
    I'm so happy and rejoicing over the fact that for Mike, his battle is over, his trials are gone, his pain has been taken away, forever! Its a glorious thing to realize he's in the presence of God almighty, worshipping and adoring Christ the way we ought.
    But my heart aches for his family and for his friends. Its these reminders (like you said) that keep my heart and mind focused on why we're here and what its all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this timely reminder that in Christ, the sting of death has been removed.

    ReplyDelete