Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and LET US RUN with endurance the race set before us, LOOKING UNTO JESUS, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:1&2

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Thankful for Sickness?????



Well sickness has struck us this month.
Just when we think we are turning the corner the green river starts flowing again
The coughs disturb our good night sleep
Plans get changed or canceled
People stay home
And usually mommy would get anxious eagerly anticipating days of health to quickly return.......
However.......


God gave us this time of sickness for a reason..
To get me to stop
stay home 
deal with issues
Spend undistributed family time


 And this is exactly what we  I needed  for God to shine a light into some dark areas of my life that the busyness has hidden

This homeschool year has hit me like a semi truck 
Leaving me feeling D's
 discouraged, distressed, depressed and defeated

As soon as a textbook opens I become this extremely impatience, unloving, unmerciful, wretch of a mom and teacher. Anytime someone would ask me how I am doing I would give them a look of death and they would quickly respond " I will be praying for You!"
Oh dear friends... I am so thankful for your prayers because God answered them... 
We got sick...
We stayed home...
And God the merciful, forbearing, good Shepard shined His light bright....

And showed me that is it not homeschooling
Isn't not my kids
It is my hearts selfish grumbling and complaining attitude 
I would much rather spend my time from 8am to 3 pm daily
 running errands, cooking, crafting, couponing and cleaning
instead of sitting in between to little boys answering questions nonstop and some times at the same time, 
Being interrupted 100 + times while trying to read 1 sentence by a little girls who needs something new every 5 seconds
Stressing out when we are still doing school at 3pm!
Watching my house become a disaster of epic proportions in just 20 minutes and trying to concentrate on the lesson rather than the 5 inch think pile of crumbs on the floor
  

But you know what... Homeschooling isn't ABOUT ME! 
It isn't about MY wants  or "think I deserves"
It is about serving my children for the glory of God and to show them the Amazing Love and mercy that has been shown to me
by my self sacrificing Savior.

And this no matter how hard is where God has me right now
Who am I to grumble and complain against His perfect plan for my life
God say in James 1 :2-4 "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.But let patience have [its] perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

God is using sickness and homeschooling to shine a light 
To show me all the work He still needs to do in me 
to conform me more into His image 
and so for this even though the pruning hurts it is for my good and I am thankful!

I began a women's bible study last month 
I am so excited because we are working on memorizing the ENTIRE book of Colossians and studying  Jesus
His person and work through various scriptures. 
Wow let me tell you what a difference it is having the word of God dwell in me richly these past few weeks as I worked on my memory verses which were col 1:1-10. 
When I start to get impatience, discontent, discourage, or defeated God has brought to mind Col 1 :10 " So walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please HIM in ALL respects, to bear fruit in EVERY good work and increase in the knowledge of God" 
This is my mission
 My prayer every morning, all day, through the interruptions,  and the messy house. 
I think this is now my life's verse!


My kiddos have also even through sickness enjoyed this time to slow down and stay home.
We released our butterflies but both of them had wing problems so they didn't get very far :(
One of the best things we did is all go out in the dark one evening and lay on the trampoline with pillows and blankets
Daddy read us a story by flash light
The kids told their own stories ( all ended with getting blown up or farting except Kaitlyn's story of a butterfly princess but they boys put there version in that too.. fell off the castle and died  :)
Star gazed 
Heard bats and saw an owl in flight!!!!!
The kids have been asking to do that every night now :)

Not to mention the time where we turn the music up loud dance around the house :)


Then the dancing turns into wrestling


Oh and another plus to these sick days.. 
I have learned all my kiddos LOVE to color


So yes I am thankful for the sick bug that doesn't seem to want leave

because

What memories we would have missed making
and
What darkness I would not have been able to see through!

2 comments:

  1. God bless you, you sure have the right attitude, Jen. In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God for you. I Thess 5:18. Love you all. Johanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post and love your outlook on such rough times! Ethan and Kara are sick as well and what I realized I don't do enough with them is cuddle them and love on them. we've been doing a lot of that and its reminded me I need to do that even when they're healthy.

    I love how God takes what is seen as horrible by some and uses them for our good.

    ReplyDelete