Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and LET US RUN with endurance the race set before us, LOOKING UNTO JESUS, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:1&2

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Seeing their hearts

This past weekend I went to a Children's Ministry/ Parenting conference. Since I tend to forget what I just read a second ago I think I need to write down some of my notes from it and what God is teaching me since this past weekend....

"Don't be content with a healthy body but there is leprosy in their souls"
Steve Fernandez

As parents it is so easy to see our kids outward performance at the while not really taking the time to look into what is going on in their hearts... 

Why does Johnny shrug his shoulder and look utterly displeased 
when asked to stop his playing and help you do something?

How can she get so angry at her brothers over  a toy?

Why does he blame his little sister for something that he himself did?

Well our dear sweet children without Christ work in their life are as undone as we were. So the reason they are doing those things is because they are selfish little sinners in need of a Big Savior. God needs to create a new heart in them. Now in training our children it is those outward manifestations that give us a glimpse to really see what is going on in their hearts so we need to take the time to first....

Pray Pray Pray!!! Because we need to accept that we are just God's appointed instruments in the bringing up of our children... We can't even do the main thing... it is God who has to intervene and change our children. Hannah sang sweetly because she prayed fervently!!

We also have to acknowledge that our own sinfulness  can be the greatest hindrance to our children seeing Christ!!! Wow !! Here I sit as a mother hen guarding my little chicks from many of the outside influences.. the thing of this world... inappropriate TV shows get turned off, video games are censored, friendship are closely monitored, heck I even home school so I am also guarding their education as well.. " I have been cultivating an environment where there are principles and values that are not compromised.... But it is me.... Mother Hen in this house that can provoke my kids to anger by my profession of Christ to them with my words yet I can display uncontrolled anger, a grumbling and complaining heart, disrespect for authority, not watching what I say all the while seeking submissive obedience from my children yet I don't model it. They need to see me walk the talk.... If I am telling my kids they need to respond when asked something right away, all they way, with a happy heart then I better respond to whatever God bring during the course of my day ( interruptions, a disobedient child, having to clean up mess after mess... etc)  ... Right away not avoid it and put it off, All the way- do the job completely, with a happy heart - this is where it hits home.... no sighing when interrupted but doing all things without grumbling or complaining.

Now I think about this and I get discouraged... but then God reminded me that I am a sinner, a forgiven blood bought sinner but a sinner none the less and will  until I meet my maker struggle with sin...
But this is where when I do sin in front of my kids I need to immediately acknowledge my sin, ask for their forgiveness and then pray for God to help me change.

I know first hand that God really uses this in our kids lives.. Because He used it in mine.. I was born to a mother who was a sinner (surprising I know) but can say that whenever my mom would sin she was always be so quick to repent in front of us, to talk of her sin and to ask our and God's forgiveness. My mom was humble before us and God used this to show me what He can do in a life. What sin and forgiveness is and what turning from sin looks like.  When I was 13 God used this and a few other circumstance to show me that I too was a sinner in need of mercy and forgiveness. I love you mom and thank you for displaying Christ to your kids!! We have risen up and called you blessed :)

Now I just need to put this in practice more with my kids. My kids are my assignment given to me. My stewardship responsibility assigned to ME... no one else.  "But it is more than principles and formulas... the Lord has to be in this thing!"

Eph 6:17- 20
"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints- and for me that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my  mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly as I ought to speak"

No comments:

Post a Comment