Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and LET US RUN with endurance the race set before us, LOOKING UNTO JESUS, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:1&2

Thursday, May 26, 2011

In a rut....

I am in a rut and cooking rut that is.... Cooking the same go to meals like tacos, spaghetti, bbq steak and chicken etc. Ever since my positive test for Celiac I have been eating gluten free and for some reason I have it in my mind that the only recipes I can eat are mexican food.... I don't know why but maybe it is  not being able to use soy sauce, or any other gluten products??? But I am so tired of Mexican let me tell you ( I am sure my family is too :) 
My kiddos are quiet picky so when I do spend hours in the kitchen with a new creation I am so discouraged when I bring the meal to the table and hear moan and groans from the peanut gallery. Our table becomes a battle field to simply get them to eat.
However despite this I am now on a mission to find new recipes that the whole family will love. (I would love to hear some of your kid friendly recipes)  I think a 30 day challenge is in order... I know if I say I will cook 30 new recipes in 30 days would be WAY too ambitious for me. So I think I would be safe to say I could cut that goal in half and do 15 new recipes in the next 30 days....

This week is Mat's  vacation therefore I am not getting a very good start at my goal. We were kid-less for 2 days ( thanks so mush mom we really enjoyed it!!!) and then Kaitlyn's birthday was yesterday. I don't know about you but when the honey is home in my house a schedule doesn't seem to exist, the house looks like the disaster monster threw up and I completely lose whatever little desire I might have had to cook.  But I set a goal and  here are 2 new recipes that I have got around to trying!
                                                                 Braised Balsamic Chicken
This was very good and Very easy! I served it with wild rice and a salad. 2 of my 3 kids really liked it while the other one ate it but wasn't too thrilled.Mat when he heard what I was cooking wasn't so sure either however after trying it  said he really liked it. I on the other hand loved it and hid the leftovers for myself to enjoy the next day :)

I also made BLT's for the first time. Why haven't I made those before.. they were so quick and easy I have no idea?? And guess what... the kids even loved them. I couldn't eat them but I had the leftover Balsamic Chicken so it was all good :) I made them on sandwich thins and instead of just mayo I made a mixture of cream cheese and mayo. *Note the kids just had bacon lettuce and bbq sauce on theirs but hey that was an easy change.

I don't know why but I have it in my head that a recipes that takes under 30 minutes isn't going to be good.. Well looks like I have a lot to learn!!! And I am so encourage because I am learning that at the end of the day when my brains are fried from homeschooling all morning, all I want to do is clean my house and not spend an hour in the kitchen just making more of a mess for me to clean up later.. that I CAN make a good dinner in 30 minutes or less!!!
All in all my 1st two attempts to change up our family menu were a success! I am off now the see what new recipes I can add to my list... We are BBQing at the beach tomorrow ( hopefully we won't get rained on.. it is almost June already right??)!!! Food always tastes so much better outside. Happy Weekend Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment