Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and LET US RUN with endurance the race set before us, LOOKING UNTO JESUS, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:1&2

Monday, May 23, 2011

Call me crazy.....

 Crazy.. Coupon crazy!!! It has been about a month in the making.... A lot of my friends are doing it and kept telling me about the money they were saving. Then they started a facebook coupon group where they post pictures of what they were paying or not paying for things as well as a few links to coupon blogs where they show you the "how-to's of couponing " :) Then TLC came out with the show Extreme Couponing... that show is crazy.. While watching it I was thinking to myself... I will NEVER do that :) I love saving money and have in the past asked to speak to a manager when a tent we were going to buy didn't ring up at the advertized price ( $70 cheaper than what it rang up!! ). I even chased the manager lady with Kaitlyn on my hip when she tried to go and pulled the ad tag they "forgot" to take down and hide it in her hand ( how dare she :) Yes Mat was with me and wanted to go and hide in the car.. but hey we ended up getting our tent for $130 instead of $200!! I am sure you would have done that too right??? :)
Well I guess I couldn't resist any longer, I figured  I would  give couponing a shot..... I mean who doesn't want free toothpaste, a cabniet full of cereal that was only $1, dirt cheap laundry detergent????  for the past month I have been cutting coupons. I first put them in envelops in categories and had them in a ziplock bag that I kept in my purse... I was also stocking the blogs learning all the couponing lingo ( man it is a whole language in itself.. ever heard of catalina?? blinkies???... bag tag???? Up Rewards??? OOP??? See what I mean :)
 A few weeks ago I was at target with the kids and they were "being kids" as soon as we set foot in the store. Do your kids have alerts like mine  that when you enter a store walking slowing means to gallop like a horse or be kind means "oh this store looks like a get wrestling ring"... I mean really!!!
Anyways, while shopping  I had found a toothpaste on clearance so I busted out my baggie of coupons and while trying to find the one colgate coupon that I knew I had in there somewhere the boys start fighting and Kaitlyn is pulling everything in her reach off the shelves. Guess what...  my coupons then start flying everywhere (why do we seem to make a scene everywhere we go???)  Yet I did FINALLY find the coupon and I got 2 free tubes of toothpaste and free floss.. was it worth the humiliation??? Still not sure about that yet but one thing I did know I had to get me one of those binders all my friends had because what I was doing wasn't going to work for me... So the next day Mat watched the boys and Kaitlyn and I went and got my baseball card sheets, dividers, and a binder.... Now to organize all the coupons.... This took me about a week.




With homeschooling I am trying to limit the time I spend on this so I don't forget my priorities :) I did my first really suggessful transation last week.  I am still a newbie and am learning a lot but guess what.. I am hooked.. and I even hooked my dear husband I think :) He helped me yesterday morning by getting up at 5 and getting my newspapers (4)  then even helped me clip and find the deals... So what would have taken me 4 hrs only took me 2.. Because of Mat's help I think that we can stick to this.... Here is what couponing has done for us the past 2 weeks.... 

                                                         I had spent a total of $8 on this purchase... It was my first coupon transaction and now looking at it I didn't get that good a deal but it was still better than nothing
Before Coupon and Wellness card total- 42.91
After card and coupons I paid OOP (out of pocket with tax) $6.59 but I got back $6 in rewards so my total was .59!!!!!!
Wow learning from my wonderfully experienced coupon friends and collecting coupon for a month really work!!!
Total before card and coupons - 
30.94 After wellness card and coupons- 10.26 OOP (with tax) but then I got $6 buck backs so total is $4.26!!!!
This was this week and has officially got me hooked on couponing...
 Rayleys- total 79.76.... after $29.27 it would have been less but I went to the store hungry so I bought a bag of pop chips that weren't on sale :) but I got all the cereal for $1 each, free Salami and the rest was all around $1.00 each! Now I just need to find out where to put all these boxes :)
Safeway..... Total $84.85... after everything $21.07.... 72% savings!!! 
Wow that was so much fun and nerve wracking at the same time :)
4 12 pack soda- on sale b2/g2 plus 2 free boxes of crackers, 2 ragu with just for u and coupon were .59, 2 lipton rice sides were on sale for .99 then used a .50 off 2 coupon and got them for .64, both boxes of crackers were free, the toothpaste was on sale for a dollar and I had 2 $1.00 off coupons so they were free, hot dogs were b1/g1 and I used 2 .55 coupons they ended up being 1.44 each, gogurts were on sale and I used a coupon on both so they were 1.47 each!
CVS- Total $19.80.. 
after sale and coupons and bucks back.. $2.48!!! plus I got a free green bag tag which means after four shopping trips there I will get $1! One thing you learn is that all those $1's really add up :)  Before this I would have NEVER shopped at CVS or Rite Aid..  :)
So my total before sale, wellness card and coupons was $41.56..
I ended up paying out of pocket 7.29( tax included) but got 3 buck back plus a 3 off $15 so a total of 6 bucks back so my grand total was... $1.29!!! The buck back are like money to shop with at that store on future purchases on anything.. Last week we bought milk with our bucks back.. This week I saved them :)

So that is what is stocking my pantry right now. The only place left to look this week is Target and it is only Monday... So it really doesn't take that much time I am finding out once you get going and you have an amazing helper :) I have the rest of the week to enjoy Mat's vacation and my baby girls 2nd Birthday!!!

If I have intrigued you in the slightest to try couponing I would suggest looking at these sites...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment